I thought those JVM's were considered to be steps in progression toward
production JVM's? Though the "push" was toward full utility, I thought the
wagon train would circle back around to do "optimization passes" and so
forth? Remember we started from absolutely nothing and a question as to its
possibility? Now we know conclusively that it's possible - and I thought
the work could be extended upon?

If Oracle is to be the true "steward" of Java, I think they need to do more
than what I call "Gesturing". If one intends to end hunger in Africa, you
get on a plane and go there and physically work on the problem until it's
solved, not put your (albeit grand "gesture") of 1 million dollars in the
collection plate and forget about it. Of course, it's easy for people like
me to sit back and judge - but I didn't go and purchase Sun and announce to
the world my stewardship of one of the most important technologies in
existence. Either do it all the way or stay the &*&*&^ out of the way - as
far as I'm concerned.

Of course this is not to condemn the heroic efforts of people here who live
and breathe their contribution to Java. I just think a partial commitment
(no matter how grand), is in the end detrimental. Sorry...