Hi Tom,
have you tried .addEventFilter() method? It receives the Event before the controls underneath the canvas, in the capturing phase. If you don't consume the Event, it should pass down to the controls. For more on the topic, see http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/events/processing.htm or http://parleys.com/play/514892290364bc17fc56c39f

-Martin