> I won't be able to get access to a Windows machine for another week or so but
> when I do I will gladly send you some screenshots.  However, are you saying
> that this is the first time anyone has reported such a finding? There's no
> existing JIRA for this specific issue? I ask because even though people tell
> me I am super fussy with fonts and see things others just can't see, I have
> observed the stated discrepancy on *every* Windows machine I have tried with
> JFX 8 (about 4 quite different machines) so I would be very surprised if no
> one else notices a difference.

It is really common for two font fussy people to disagree on which font
rendering is “better” :-). We’ve also looked at various applications and it
seems to be a mixture of different techniques (sometimes even within the same
app!). For such things, it might be better to expose some kind of settings that
lets the developer chose which font hinting they want to use or other settings.
Just something to keep in mind.

The other day I was doing some HTML (blah) and comparing the font rendering
with another website. My fonts were dark and heavy, their fonts were light and
stylish. The font was exactly the same. The weight was exactly the same. The
style, variant, etc were all the same. The difference was
'-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;’. I don’t know if the two of us, given
the same page and same rendering, would agree on which font looked nicer (maybe
we would, maybe not, I really don’t know!).

Which makes me think we probably need to expose some toggles so folks can tweak
the characteristics to their liking.

Richard