Of course Oracle needs/needed to prioritise features in JavaFX and I think
they have done a very good job in that respect given that the most common
use case would be for forms or dialogs with the odd decorative effect.

But, now that this part has been done, I would love to see a lot more work
put into the entire 3D subsystem and, as stated, I really do think some
tool to assist with visual development of animations and visualisations is
needed desperately.

I think most people who have to date looked at JavaFX have either come from
a Swing background or are in a position to develop a new forms-based
application with Java so typical in business scenarios.  But I think there
is an entirely different class of user who would benefit greatly from the
less well-known or lesser used features that Swing simply didn't have.

Maybe people are right in that if I am the only one who is in such dire
need of a visual animation/visualisation/timeline editor then perhaps I
should develop and contribute such a component myself.

Anything is possible...