Hi Dirk, all,

Although this person from Codename One attacked me a few times before
(using words like we're selling snake oil), I tried to ignore it. This is
very uncommon for the Java community. In the Java community, we have
different views, we prefer different technologies, but we show at least
some basic respect to other views and we don't insult people. Clearly, this
isn't the policy inside Codename One. I wonder where they get the time for
writing negative things about others, rather than writing positive things
about their own technologies. So although I'm offended, I try to write code
and keep my customers happy rather than fighting.

But the moment you may lose customers because what others write about a
technology you want to use, a line is crossed. I keep all options open on
how to respond, but here are already some thoughts:

* The JavaFX engineers at Oracle (current and past) are doing a fantastic
job.

* Yes, I wish Oracle would spend more resources on JavaFX (and on Java in
general).

* JavaFX is growing. Gluon is growing.

* There are many JavaFX success stories, but unfortunately many of those
are hidden behind company walls. At Gluon, we have great customers with a
huge investment in JavaFX that make amazing products. But company policies
often prohibit us from even mentioning those on our website. This is an
issue, as I believe many people would be surprised to see who is using
JavaFX and at what size. I'm not sure how to address this, and it is
something Peter Pilgrim talked about in a follow-up post as well.

* JavaFX on Mobile is getting there. Don't believe self-declared and
aggressive "mobile experts" with a different agenda. I'm one of those
people working day and night to make this happen. And apart from very few
exceptions, the Java community has been very supportive to this effort. I
don't let those exceptions ruining my day or my customers.

* There really is a JavaFX eco-system. Oracle is spending resources on it,
and there are a large number of individuals and companies providing free
and commercial frameworks, services, trainings, books.

* JavaFX is open source with a business-friendly license. You don't like
something? Fix it.

Dirk, keep up the good work. I hope your customer realises that there is a
large community behind JavaFX, with both open-source and commercial
offerings. They should feel safe using JavaFX.

- Johan