> and I thought that perhaps OpenOCD can do it. Was I too optimistic?

To be fair, there is no clear evidence so far that the problem that you're
hitting here - with the SysTick handler stopping as if there was a breakpoint -
is the fault of OpenOCD and not, perhaps, a bug in the target Cortex-M7 silicon.

OpenOCD can obviously perform the testing that you want since, as I understand
it, it's already working for all of your other cases. Just not the one that's
anomalous for some reason that is still not fully understood and which is
obviously difficult to pin down.

As a workaround could you configure a `debug-halted` handler to resume
execution when this rogue breakpoint is hit?