Gentlemen,
AFAIK EJTAG is already implemented in OpenOCD (I'm using it for another
MIPS based SOC to program external flash). I just don't know how
complete it is in respect to debugging/single stepping. The flash
programming routines for PIC32 are also available in OpenOCD. So I guess
everything is available in OpenOCD to program a PIC32.

Slighty off-topic: I think the MIPS GCC compiler from Codesourcery can
be used for PIC32 straight away. It is based on GCC 4.x (not the old 3.x
GCC), has newlib support and isn't crippled! The C library from mspgcc
(GCC for TI's MSP430 series) is a usefull replacement for newlib because
it is really really small. I had little problems compiling it for ARM.

Nico Coesel