On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:51 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 November 2009, Zach Welch wrote:
> > The following benefits can be expected from this work:
> > - Command registration is much simpler and easier to read and update.
> > - All registrations now get proper error checking.
> > - Eliminates redundant calls to register command: smaller binaries.
> > - Improves 'help' display and add new 'usage' command.
> > - Changes all register_commands callbacks into command_registration *'s.
>
> Sounds good.  There's still a disjunction between "Jim commands"
> and the normal type ... are you thinking of smoothing that too?

Actually, that's dealt with in the first patches of series 6/6, or did
you have something else in mind?  As far as I can tell, all command
registration is going to be fairly smooth after this series gets pushed,
though I have several ideas for more patches to improve things further.

> Having command registration/etc be less of a mess will be nice.
> One of the first ways I recall getting lost in this source tree
> was landing in that particular maze...

Yes.  This was a tangled web, and I think my efforts are starting to lay
things out better for both users and developers.  These provide an
excellent foundation for further restructuring the commands, such as
$CHIPNAME.{tap,flash} commands like the existing $CHIPNAME.cpu commands.

Even better, there's actual developer documentation for this facet of
the system now, which I've got in progress for a patch to the end of the
series.  I also just fixed some remaining regressions that slipped in,
which will appear at the end as well.

Cheers,

Zach