Zach Welch wrote:
> To be fair, these extra steps also moot my Heisenbug argument; however,
> these are still activities that could be expected by these platforms'
> users.  Running GDB is not a user activity, except _possibly_ when using
> it _with_ OpenOCD.  Remember, not everyone uses OpenOCD with GDB.
>
> I consider our "users" to include those developers who want to use
> OpenOCD as a replacement for an off-the-shelf tool.  Such users do not
> want to be told to debug OpenOCD with GDB, but they might be convinced
> to install a debugging version of it (e.g. from Git).  Too many users
> might give up when they hear that they need to run GDB to debug the
> feature that causes a crash for them.  That goes for any package where
> They Just Wanted To Use It.

I don't see why starting gdb to generate a bug report is such a big
problem - especially if we provide step-by-step instructions or even a
script that does the dirty work.

If you expect the user to install (or even build) a debug-version of
openocd, I see no problem to tell the user "run the report-bug script"
which then internally starts openocd from gdb and provides the necessary
information (backtrace, variables etc.).

Installing gdb is easier on most systems than installing/building a
debug version of openocd, so I can't see where this fear of using gdb
comes from.

cu
Michael