On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Michael Schwingen
<rincew...@discworld.dascon.de> wrote:
> Zach Welch wrote:
>> To be fair, these extra steps also moot my Heisenbug argument; however,
>> these are still activities that could be expected by these platforms'
>> users.  Running GDB is not a user activity, except _possibly_ when using
>> it _with_ OpenOCD.  Remember, not everyone uses OpenOCD with GDB.
>>
>> I consider our "users" to include those developers who want to use
>> OpenOCD as a replacement for an off-the-shelf tool.  Such users do not
>> want to be told to debug OpenOCD with GDB, but they might be convinced
>> to install a debugging version of it (e.g. from Git).  Too many users
>> might give up when they hear that they need to run GDB to debug the
>> feature that causes a crash for them.  That goes for any package where
>> They Just Wanted To Use It.
>>
> I don't see why starting gdb to generate a bug report is such a big
> problem - especially if we provide step-by-step instructions or even a
> script that does the dirty work.

Zach made a good point that there are bug reports we are not receiving
today. Those tare the ones he's after here I think.

I don't view the two methods as mutually exclusive, but I wonder
if creating some end-user debug scripts might be lower hanging fruit...

--
Øyvind Harboe
US toll free 1-866-980-3434 / International +47 51 63 25 00