On Thu, Oct 04, 2007, Joerg Lehrke wrote:

> I know that IRIX is not a supported platform, but the problem I found there
> can be avoided easily.  /bin/sh messes up the opt_e string within the install
> command of shtool. Especially the MySQL RPM build fails on IRIX because of
> this. Since OpenPKG provides a BASH this shell should be used for all crucial
> scripts. At least we were on the safe side this way, what you think?

So, there is no bug in GNU shtool's "shtool install" command, but the
/bin/sh of IRIX fails over the "opt_e" variable, right? Strange! Is
"opt_e" something special in IRIX /bin/sh? Well, ok...

In general I also prefer to use GNU bash inside OpenPKG, but in the
particular case of GNU shtool I would like to better stay with just
the vendor's /bin/sh. Why? Well, how should I explain this.... I know
that the author of GNU shtool uses OpenPKG as its unofficial "field
test" area for his tool ;-) So, if OpenPKG starts running its "shtool"
version under GNU bash, then the GNU shtool author could be certainly
less sure that GNU shtool _really_ works on all major Unix platform
out-of-the-box.

Nevertheless I would like to see GNU shtool working with IRIX' /bin/sh
out-of-the-box. So, can we give the upstream author a little bit of
details about the problem? Is just the _name_ of the variable the
problem? Or its particular use? I can ensure that the upstream author
looks at our issue in more detail if we have the necessary information
at hand for him... ;-)

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com