Stefan Andersson wrote:
>  > Resizing the terseupdate packet size is going to be placed in to
> ModRex at least, that's why in the patch SendAvatarTerseUpdate method is
> marked as virtual.
>

> Just a very quick short one; (yeah right)
>
> Not talking about this patch in particular, just realized there's
> something that app devs probably should be made aware of:
>
> In OpenSim, there's been an implicit understanding (that we should
> probably discuss and make explicit) that;
>
> 1) Marking stuff as 'virtual' because of the need to subclass in a
> particular proprietary application should never be a problem. This
> strenghtens the API.

+1

> 2) Going from 'private' to 'protected' because of the need to
> subclass in a particular proprietary application should never be a
> problem. This strenghtens the API.

This is not always the case.  See
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=3072.  Sometimes there are good
reasons
for keeping methods private.

> 3) Introducing extra layers of indirection because of the need to
> re-direct control flow in a particular proprietary application should
> never be a problem. This strenghtens the API.

+1

> 4) Introducing stuff directly into core that is not used by core because
> a particular proprietary feature demands it, will always be a
> problem. Instead, do 1) or 2) or 3).

+1

> 5) Going from 'protected' to 'public' because a particular proprietary
> feature demands it, will always be a problem. Instead, do 1) or 2) or 3).

+1

In other words, I broadly agree.  I would also add that none our APIs can be
regarded as 'stable' until we near 1.0 -
everything is subject to change.  Indeed, I would say that at the moment
virtually all of our APIs are 'accidental' APIs
in that they were originally formulated for internal use.  Therefore, they are
often not well documented or thought
through in terms of their functionality and usability for non-core code.

> Best regards,
> Stefan Andersson
> Tribal Media AB
>
>  > From: mikko.pall...@adminotech.com
>  > To: opensim-dev@lists.berlios.de
>  > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:26:26 +0100
>  > Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Avatar movement packet optimization
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Yes, 'dramatic' as in positive.
>  >
>  > The changes introduced in the patch work for LL clients also and
> propably for OpenMetaverse clients too, but I haven't tested this patch
> with them.
>  >
>  > Resizing the terseupdate packet size is going to be placed in to
> ModRex at least, that's why in the patch SendAvatarTerseUpdate method is
> marked as virtual.
>  >
>  > Sean Dague wrote:
>  > > Very cool to see this patch. There is some feedback in the mantis
> tracker about adjusting the way types are used. It would be great if you
> could respin the patch based on that so we could get this in.
>  >
>  > Already done.
>  >
>  > Cheers,