Logging isn't actually handled directly by OpenSim, but rather by it's
log4net library. This library looks in OpenSIm.exe.config to see how it
should handle logs, including things like rolling logs, and how the logs
are named. It does all of this before OpenSim even has a chance to open
it's own INI files. To an extent, it's outside of OpenSim;s control and
scope, requiring a person to read up on log4net options someplace like
http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/config-examples.html

If you like, you can even choose to use your own version of
OpenSim.exe.config using the logconfig command line switch.