Hi Justin,

The fact that your message is a plea rather than an announcement makes it
rather clear why I felt I had to leave OSG and move my sim to Metro.  It
also explains to me why I felt I had to add myself to this list at the same
time -- self protection.

If your release cycle is 4 months shouldn't there be a hard and fast
feature freeze at the end of the first month?  And there should be no
back-talk or exceptions.  Bug fixes ought to be just about 3/4 of the
effort anyway.  What OpenSim needs is credibility as a stable working
system, not more features.

If it''s a choice between what is going on now and having no development on
OpenSim, I think I'd rather see no development.  I have no way of stopping
the badness from happening at my end other than complaining about it.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:41 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <jjusti...@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Hi folks.  For the past 3 years, we've had a significant OpenSimulator
> release at about 4 to 8 month intervals.
>
> As the last major release (0.7.6) was in September 2013, we are due for
> another, and this seems like a reasonable point.  From my perspective,
> releases drive a very significant level of OpenSimulator adoption.  It's
> also the case that I may have a limited window of time to act as release
> manager, after which things may get very busy for me for an extended period.
>
> There was some disagreement over how the last release was handled,
> particularly over the period when I asked that developers take care to
> leave master stable.  However, it's quite hard for me to see how this could
> be done in another way without significantly more manpower.  Even when the
> release is branched, if the release branch and master diverge significantly
> (or master is broken) then a lot of the testing done by users is lost -
> very few people actually pick up and test release candidates.
>
> So unless there is disagreement, I'm going to ask that people take care to
> keep master stable until the end of April or release, whichever occurs
> first.  This certainly does not mean a halt to development on master, it's
> just a request that people take a common sense approach to holding off from
> putting in destabilising or very complicated changes for a while, unless
> these are to fix significant bugs or regressions.
>
> I'm very happy to hear alternatives, though I would also need people to
> help if they involve more work.  In any case, Robert has very kindly
> volunteered to look at some of the current regressions but more help is
> always very welcome.
>
> The current regressions or very major bugs have a 0.8 target in Mantis.
>  As with every release so far, only major regressions are guaranteed to
> receive some sort of attention, where the answer may still be WONTFIX for
> this release.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> OSVW Consulting
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.