On Wednesday 21 December 2005 05:47 am, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 02:30 -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 December 2005 08:37 pm, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > > Interesting. So you're going to swap your user base over to the KDE
> > > desktop? Or are you going to try and retro fit both into Nexenta? Won't
> > > that be a bit hard for a single CD? :/
> >
> > Can't the bulk of packages be installed over the net? That's what I've
> > always liked about Debian, install the smallest amount of needed code and
> > then apt-get the rest that you need. It just works.
>
> Yeah, it just wasn't obvious from the comments in the email, that I
> thought it would be good to clarify. For the purposes of a Live CD
> though, you have to be careful about what default set of packages you
> make available to entice people to play around with and install
> afterwards - certainly not an easy task my any means.

While I currently only have one Linux system at home, it's being phased out
into a gaming machine for my sun...maybe by this weekend...;-) I have used
Linux and Embedded Linux quite a bit in the past, and some cases the client
would dictate which platform you used. I would always use Debian as my
personal Linux, and as such presented problems installing certain packages in
regard to that.

It doesn't take that long to get a good chunk of what you need with a few
commands, and to update and dist-upgrade would take you current at any point.

If you're missing something, an apt-get grabs it with the dependancies. This
system works very well. The problem with Nexentra is that many of the
standard packages of Debian are not ported at this time. They seem to have
taken quite a leap, and are well on their way.

I think Shillix is interesting if for nothing else than Joerg Schilling is
working on it. It is missing (but gathering) needed pieces for a complete
system as well. Same with Belenix. All of these system are getting better
though, this is good.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering