On Wednesday 31 January 2007 02:17 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I see you carefully neglected the first of these two points.

I didn't *carefully* neglect it.;-)

> It's all fine and good if GLPv3 allows device driver linking explicitely,
> but what if the main source of GPL'ed drivers remains GPLv2?

This could be a reality, but I suspect once the GPLv3 is out, there will be a
following to support it. Certainly time will show-all.

I doubt we'll see the hardcore folks like Becker release drivers under GPLv3,
but we're not in dire need anymore for drivers, not the top tier ones, we
have pretty good support. What's funny is, do people actually use Becker's
drivers anymore? I mean, who uses 3Com cards these days? I'm sure some Linux
folks have 3Com cards laying around, but I don't see many 3Com cards these
days that folks are buying new.

As I said Casper, I am not partial to the license, I just want the best for
the software to allow it to co-exist with other open source software. I don't
want you to pit me up as a GPLv3 supporter, I would support it if it would
help our cause. I'm fine with not using GPLv3, and quite honestly, I am fine
with leaving things CDDL as they are as well.

Our biggest concern should be with any issues on licensing that could effect
distributions. That's the area where Nexenta seemed to run into snags.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group
Advocate of insourcing at Sun - hire people that care about our company!