* Richard L. Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-02-20 21:41]:
> I still think feeding the lists to a dedicated news server could be the
> cleanest approach to providing a way to read the messages by list in
> a threaded manner.  Either the groups could be read-only, or (my preference,
> since I'd rather not use an email interface for something like this) they
> could be auto-moderated (must be able to be associated with a registered
> email address), or else the server could require authentication (with one's
> os.o account and password, I suppose).

  Is there an NNTP server that offers this sort of posting policy?

> That would IMO be a lot cleaner, and more scalable (even a wimpy news
> server can probably handle more messages per day than the opensolaris.org
> lists are ever likely to see).  And with reasonably fast clients that
> can be configured to cache headers (I like knews, myself), it can be much
> better performing for people with relatively slow network access (which
> could be common with worldwide participation).  Or if enough folks can't
> resist the temptation to post HTML, Thunderbird or Mozilla would probably
> be ok too.

  Although it's not high on my infrastructure list (which is mostly
  about development and governance at the moment), I don't have a
  problem with running a news server eventually.  (I am nervous about
  running news, mail, and web forums in fully gatewayed fashion,
  however...)

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/