On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Dennis Clarke wrote:

[ ... ]
> I expect that the first release of Indiana will change a lot of things and I
> *hope* that bureaucratic modis operandi will be one of the things to slowly
> slip away.

I hope for the same.

Although, as you say, changing code is the trivial part. Changing business
processes and policies is what's hard. And yanking a supertanker such as
Sun Microsystems around takes quite some time, and now and then makes
undesirably big waves :(

[ ... ]
>> can't Kaiwai Gardiner spend the pittance it would take to hire a team
>> of engineers to redesign PCFS in OpenSolaris?

Because, maybe, it's a pity to see how little comes out of Sun wrt. to
such a tiny project as PCFS ? I mean, it's the same things that annoy
people for decades, and still noone acknowledges it / works on it ?

I can understand that one would think "Sun has had so much time to do
something about it why oh why just don't they". It's hard to argue with
this. But it's doubly hard for those who actually have tried to do
something about it, if only a little, to continue to see allegations of
"not enough not enough".

As far as PCFS goes, I'm not hiding diagnostics from you, nor ideas, as
much as I'm aware. Everyone can have a look at the buglist for the product
here:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=1-dispatched&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=2-incomplete&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=3-accepted&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=4-defer&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=5-cause+known&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=6-fix+understood&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=7-fix+in+progress&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&minDisplay=on&bugStatus=9-fix+failed&category=kernel&subcategory=pcfs

Sorry, can't list a simpler method, since bugs.opensolaris.org doesn't
allow multiple states to be specified for a single search, and you'll get
a lot of closed bugs listed if you don't specify a category.

Some of these are in the works, others are evaluated to a degree that it's
known what causes the problem. Not all of them have people working on
them.
Feel free to ask questions about the specifics of any particular bug, I'll
reply in a spare minute.

Now according to this:

        http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/on/dev_solaris/

the PCFS source falls into the 2nd category. Which can be translated as
"endless reservoir of work"...

Thing is, as an employee, I have to do the work I'm assigned to. I can
assist with other things as long as there's no interference between
interest and duty. But there is now :(

Hence, as said, all willing to help with troubleshooting and/or coding
advice, but I can't do the actual coding and integration work for PCFS
anymore.
Not beyond this change, and not on company time, anyway.

And "interest" - well. FAT is important enough to have stayed around for
30+ years. It'll stay for a while. But technically, I think for something
like FAT, a userspace implementation, via FUSE or a related mechanism,
just has so many advantages that I won't spend my personal time on the
kernel driver anymore. I'll personally go to FUSE.

Not everyone might agree with me on that. Hence I've told people "here's a
start of a code cleanup for the kernel driver". Honestly, this is all I
meant to convey. Had I had any idea what waves that would make I might
better have remained silent ...

FrankH.