In terms of media codecs, note that Windows Media player supports many
formats where Microsoft doesn't own the IP, such as MPEG2, MPEG4, mp3,
etc.  I don't think Sun's arrangements with Microsoft allows any other
companies to make use of their licenses to distribute plugins to support
these formats.

In terms of WindowsMedia formats, this is IP that Microsoft actually
owns.  I'm not sure if Sun's arrangement with Microsoft allows us to use
this IP.  I suspect not, and that Sun would need to license this IP
to use it, just like any other company.  However, perhaps our
arrangements with Microsoft will make it easier or more afforadable to
license WindowsMedia codecs in the future.  I'm not sure.

For the time being, you can buy legal and licensed WindowsMedia plugins
from fluendo at this URL:

   https://shop.fluendo.com/

I also hope that in the near future, they will be able to offer MPEG2
and MPEG4 plugins for Solaris.  We will have to wait and see how that
goes.

>> Was the words free ever used? I always thought that
>> money would transfer between the companies for the
>> use of each others technology.
>
> It did: 1+ billion United States dollars were paid to Sun Microsystems by
 > the Microsoft corporation. In return, both parties signed a
cross-licensing
 > agreement. As a side effect, both parties agreed not to further sue
each other
 > for use of those technologies or patent infringements.

I suspect that this is in terms of OpenOffice/StarOffice and other
desktop technologies, though I don't know for sure.  I suspect it
doesn't extend to media codecs.  But, I guess this is a good question
for Sun legal to consider.  If our arrangements do allow us to ship
media codec support, then we could consider doing so, I'd think.

Brian