Alexander Vlasov wrote:
That's really strange. Have you read
/usr/share/doc/aptitude/README?

currently pkg has very rudimentary search ability, like you can't ask `which packages were installed only to satifsy other packages' dependencies', `show me all games' or `which packages has arrived into repository since last update'. Some search abilities of aptitude aren't even applicable in pkg since pkg doesn't have appropriate concepts (like priorities; pkg only supports `preferred' and `other' repos, no arrangement by-priority)

Rudimentary is relative.  For example:
* can you search in aptitude for the package that contains the a specific architecture version (sparc, i386, etc.) of a specific file?

* can you search for packages that depend on the C++ runtime library and deliver a file to /usr/lib?

As for "show me all games", yes you can do that assuming those packages have been marked with the correct metadata.

As for "which packages has arrived into the repository since last update", it is true that search can't show you this, but the depot server provides an RSS feed that shows you which packages have been updated and which ones have been added.

-Shawn