> Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > Wikipedia says java is GPL.  If you google around,
> you'll find that some
> > version of java was released under GPL in 2006.
>  However, if you look around
> ... it is not readily available today, at least, not
>  in all the places you
>  would be most likely to look for java downloads.
> Like OpenSolaris, the source released for Java, under
> the name OpenJDK, was
> the source to the next release, JDK 7, which still
> isn't out yet as the
> mainstream release, but is still in development.
>   They have built a JDK 6
> lease out of the OpenJDK sources as well now, which
> is widely used in
> Linux releases.
>
> > Today, if you go to sun.com, oracle.com, or
> java.com, to download JRE, JDK,
> > or the source code for them, you'll find that the
> source code is released
> > under SCSL,
>
> Try http://www.openjdk.org/
>
> --
> -Alan Coopersmith-
> -        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com
> Oracle Solaris Platform Engineering: X Window
> ow System

I have always held this argument that GPL gives Java a much stronger copyright
protection than anyone (especially Sun's investors) had given Sun credit for.

In this particular case, unless Google were able to prove that it had
outsourced its Android work to some extraterrestrial intelligence, it would be
very difficult for Google to claim "inaccessibility to software code" as part
of the clean room defense.

Disclaimer:  I have been following David Boies for almost three decades, and I
don't think he will take a case unless it has a very strong impact.  Of course,
he is also VERY expensive.  Recently, the California judge who is handling the
divorce case of jamie and Frank McCourt (who owns the Los Angels Dodgers)
suggested that the team be sold so that they can pay the legal fees owed to
Jamie's lawyer (who happens to be David Boies and who has expressed that he has
no interest in owning the Dodgers in lieu of cash) :-)