On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 06:17:47PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> I'm not sure I see the problem.  Let's see, if an application with a
> certificate verification callback registered through
> SSL_CTX_set_cert_verify_callback() is built for an older OpenSSL
> (i.e. doesn't take a user argument), what will happen is that the
> callback gets an extra random argument that it ignores (if it's been
> constructed correctly).  A new application will have to use the new
> interface which demands a user argument to be passed to the callback,
> and that should present no problems.

This is true for C the macro assembler, but not for C the programming
language.  There is no guarantee that function calls will remain
compatible.

If we add the paramter list declaration for app_verify_callback to
ssl/ssl.h and ssl/ssl_lib.c (which I think we should do for type
safety), applications written for old releases will not compile
without modification if they use SSL_CTX_set_cert_verify_callback().
But the only application that I know of that actually uses this
function is by myself, and I can accept this incompatibility.

--
Bodo Möller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html