OK, I can see that WCEVERSION is defined in 3rd party wcecompat.mak,
but I would feel better if we use variable set by VCVARS*.BAR or
whatever it's called in embedded C. Meaning that I'd like to rephrase
the question. Can you figure out variables set by VC, which we can use?

They are OSVERSION, PLATFORM, WCEROOT, SDKROOT, PATH, INCLUDE, LIB, CC,
TARGETCPU and CFG.

Here is a script from WCEARM.BAT.

if "%OSVERSION%"=="" set OSVERSION=WCE300
if "%PLATFORM%"=="" set PLATFORM=ms pocket pc
if "%WCEROOT%"=="" set WCEROOT=C:\Program Files\Microsoft eMbedded Visual Tools
if "%SDKROOT%"=="" set SDKROOT=C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools

set CC=clarm.exe

set TARGETCPU=ARM
set CFG=none

CEVersion is set by IDE, so you cannot utilize it from commandline.

And therefore I've decided to eliminate dependency on wcedefs.mak [from wcecompat] and implemented the corresponding logic directly to VC-32.mak. Grab latest snapshot to test it. For reference. Note that this change doesn't eliminate dependency on wcecompat [which is not the goal], but dependency on wcedefs.mak file from wcecompat. A.