Did iis.cer get generated properly? Can you post the contents of iis.cer
file?

Man page of the x509 utility says,

"
       The PEM format uses the header and footer lines:

        -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
        -----END CERTIFICATE-----

       it will also handle files containing:

        -----BEGIN X509 CERTIFICATE-----
        -----END X509 CERTIFICATE-----

       Trusted certificates have the lines

        -----BEGIN TRUSTED CERTIFICATE-----
        -----END TRUSTED CERTIFICATE-----
"
If it does not find any of the above header and footer lines, it throws the
error that you are seeing. Or, is the file in some other format (DER??).

-Sandeep