>       From: owner-openssl-...@openssl.org On Behalf Of sandeep kiran p
>       Sent: Sunday, 05 December, 2010 06:01

Aside: this isn't a -dev question, -users would have been better.

>       Did iis.cer get generated properly?

No, see below.

>       On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Sudershan Raj <brajna...@gmail.com>
wrote:
(rewrapped)
>               C:\ssl>openssl ca -policy policy_anything -config
openssl.conf
>           -cert certs/ca.cer -in requests/certreq.txt -keyfile keys/ca.key

>           -days 9999 -out certs/iis.cer

Aside: CA cert and keyfile can be specified in the .conf, and
IMO should since they should be fixed for a given CA instance.
Default policy and days can also be specified, especially if you
have a more or less consistent practice, although it's reasonable
to override them per request if they vary.

>               Certificate is to be certified until Bad time value (9999
days)

Until recently (I believe 1.0.0) OpenSSL computes notAfter
time using standard-C time_t. Generally on 32-bit systems
time_t cannot handle times after early 2038, which today+9999 is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem