In message <fe841b85-ec0c-4e5a-9c3c-3703a8b19...@dukhovni.org> on Tue, 17 Apr
2018 14:32:37 -0400, Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-us...@dukhovni.org> said:

openssl-users>
openssl-users> > On Apr 17, 2018, at 2:15 PM, Richard Levitte
<levi...@openssl.org> wrote:
openssl-users> >
openssl-users> > Depends on what "the best thing you know to do" is.  In my
mind,
openssl-users> > simply refusing to run as before because the new kid in town
didn't
openssl-users> > like the environment (for example a cert that's perfectly
valid for
openssl-users> > TLSv1.2 but invalid for TLSv1.3) it ended up in isn't "the
best thing
openssl-users> > you know to do".
openssl-users> >
openssl-users> > But I get you, your idea of "the best thing you know to do" is
to run
openssl-users> > the newest protocol unconditionally unless the user /
application says
openssl-users> > otherwise, regardless of if it's at all possible given the
environment
openssl-users> > (like said cert).
openssl-users>
openssl-users> If there were a non-negligible use of certificates that work
with TLS 1.2,
openssl-users> and that (implementation bugs aside) can't work with TLS 1.3,
I'd support
openssl-users> your position strongly.  As it stands, I think you're right in
principle,
openssl-users> but not yet in practice.  If we find no show-stopper issues, we
should
openssl-users> allow TLS 1.3 to happen.

The troublesome thing with "but not yet in practice" is that we won't
know before 1.1.1 is finally released and has been deployed in a
larger scale.  In my mind, that's too late.  So my view is much more
black and white, like is it at all possible that there will be
certificates or other "stuff" out there that will have libssl fail
setting up communication because TLSv1.3?  If the answer is yes, I
find it hard to ignore this.

openssl-users> I'm far more concerned about lingering middle-box issues, than
about some
openssl-users> edge-case certificates...

There's that too, yeah.

--
Richard Levitte         levi...@openssl.org