In message <fe9ed5f1-9f8f-792b-9f26-512af63ce...@openssl.org> on Thu, 7 Jun
2018 17:55:27 +0200, Andy Polyakov <ap...@openssl.org> said:

appro> > Regarding general use of other libraries, please think carefully
before voting, 'cause this *is* tricky. If you have a look, you will see that
we *currently* depend on certain standard libraries, such as, for example,
libdl.
appro>
appro> One has to recognize that each dependency has to be justified.

Yes, of course.  Caution is advisable, always.

appro> > And perhaps we should also mention the pile of libraries used with
windows.
appro>
appro> It's not about amount, but ubiquity and stability. Windows is bad
appro> example in the context, because it's rather "mono-cultural" environment.

Yes, you're right, and I didn't really mean to make a serious argument
about the amount, just pointing out that we already rely on standard /
system libraries.

appro> But *otherwise* thing is that we already *know* that those extra
appro> libraries work. Or at least know what to expect and how to deal with
appro> them on different platforms. They were effectively proven to work by
appro> lasting through several releases and years-long bug ironing. This *is*
appro> factor too. And that's what made me pose "is b) part of vote" in my last
appro> post.

I'll have you note that the PR that I'm pointing at still has an open
question about how to deal with the problem of some systems not
reliably support iconv.

--
Richard Levitte         levi...@openssl.org