Richard Eggert wrote:
My best guess at what's happening is that mod_ssl is preloading libssl and configuring it according to its own requirements (and mod_ssl doesn't care about the certificates of other servers), and when my code runs (later) under mod_perl, the variables I'm sending it are being completely ignored.

Apache/mod_ssl server configuration should not interfere with your libwww-perl/OpenSSL client configuration in any way.

try to do some printf debugging and print the relevant environment variable values to a log file. do the variables have the correct values when the script is being run?

br. aspa