In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:48:16 -0700, "Ted
Mittelstaedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

tedm>   Since SSLeay is part of OpenSSL, Eric Young is by definition
tedm> an OpenSSL author.

That's a matter of definition, and I don't agree.  Eric hasn't written
one byte of OpenSSL code since the start of OpenSSL.  The OpenSSL
peoject has taken over the SSLeay code, which comes under the SSLeay
license.

tedm>   Therefore my statement is valid, as much as you may not like
tedm> it.  That is, the OpenSSL authors (you included) DON'T want to
tedm> change the license.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I personally do want it, but there are
some hoops to jump and it goes slowly, and I have no interest in
acting a lone cowboy in this project.

tedm>   I am sure you are going to squawk and claim that you want to
tedm> change it.  But, Richard, you appointed yourself to talk for the
tedm> rest of the OpenSSL authors when you started arguing with me.

Not at all, I spoke for myself (I do believe I said that clearly
enough), and only reported what I have seen happening within the
group.  I am *not* speaking for anyone else in the group, that's
entirely up to them.  And you know, considering the heat and the
visciousness of this debate, I think they are the smarter when
keeping away.

tedm>   If the OpenSSL group consensus was that this advert clause was
tedm> that onerous, you would as a group, excluding the developers
tedm> like Eric who want the clause intact, excise the portion of the
tedm> code that has a problem and rewrite it.

Right.  Let's see, I have no life and nothing to deal with every day
that earns me money so I can survive.  Basically, I've 24 hours a day
to work on OpenSSL.  Is that what you're saying?  And pardon me for
pointing this out, but OpenSSL *is* a volunteer organisation, what
exactly have YOU done to help out?  Since you have no problem with a
license change in the future, I'm sure you don't mind when we remove
the advert clause on your contributions.

tedm>   This is exactly what the GPL does when they find code they
tedm> want with some undigestible bits in it (ie: incompatible with
tedm> GPL) they rewrite the bits.  The OpenSSL Project has the same
tedm> option.

... but not the same resources, it seems.

tedm> What the GPL does is overlay the GPL over code that they use in
tedm> their GPL projects.  The original license may remain but since
tedm> the GPL is more restrictive, it becomes the defacto license.

Not true.  If a GPLed project uses a piece of code with a different
license, that piece of code keeps it and can be reused under that
license, not the GPL.  That the GPL is used for the whole project and
the rest of the files in the project is a non-issue.

Please read up on copyright law, on how licenses really work and are
applied.  I have.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis