-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marek Marcola
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:14 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Signature verification fails with block type is not 01

Hello,
>   We are using openssl 0.9.8d in our environment. In one of the
> Solaris box we are getting an "block type is not 01" while doing the
> signature verification. We have compared the openssl (0.9.7l) and
> openssl (0.9.8d) and found few difference in the "signature
> verification" part. We then used openssl 0.9.7l and we get the same
> error message "block type is not 01. This does occur in only one
> Solaris box. details of the machine is provided below.
If this happens only on one machine and with two different OpenSSL
versions then private/public key "compatibility" may be problem.
If you sign with some private key and next you will try to verify with
public key not from pair then you will get this error.
This error is generated after successful modular exponentation (where
public key is used) when try to remove padding is performed.
After modular exponentation first byte of result should be 0x01 but is
not in this case.
Look at private key modulus and public/certificate modulus and check if
they are the same.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>