You are confusing goals and desires.

Someone who wants documentation beyond what they have can either (a) write it
themselves, (b) wait, (c) offer a bounty. (c) is the only practical choice, if
they have money but neither time, nor expertise.

Someone who wants to produce open source code to solve a problem and share the
solution will do the least to get the job done. Someone who wants to produce
open source software to INFLUENCE others to use it will try to produce the most
usable software they can. I submit most open source projects fall somewhere in
the middle.

Finally, the source code IS the only reliable source of documentation (assuming
you can trust your compiler, OS, and hardware to do "the right thing"). It
isn't the most CONVENIENT, which is why we desire other forms.

Should the O'Reilly book be rewritten? Not unless it's truly awful. But, a wiki
shouldn't start from scratch. It should draw upon existing documentation and
fill in the gaps. Sucks if you don't have those docs (or can't afford the
book), but it is the fastest way to "get there from here" because you don't
have to start from nothing.

The problem with wikis is that they tend to be a large forest of information
with little organization. Unless there is some editing effort, it will be
little more useful than a FAQ and mailing list archive.