Kenneth Goldman wrote:

> 1 - Reading the source is only as reliable as the skill of the reader and
> the comments in the code.  I'd rather have the answers than a research
> project.

So would I. But far too often, in code of all kinds, this documentation
doesn't exist. As an investor I would far rather have my coders reverse
engineer the code and make it work, than be faced with no information,
and have code doomed to be thrown away.

> 2 - If I read the source, I can't determine which functions are stable
> and intended to be used by applications and which are internal and
> subject to change or deletion with every release.

This is only a problem if the developers of the library haven't packaged
their library properly, something that one doesn't expect to still see
in 2009.

Regards,
Graham