On 10/11/2013 11:55 AM, Lakshminaraya Renganarayana wrote:

Clint Byrum <cl...@fewbar.com> wrote on 10/11/2013 12:40:19 PM:

> From: Clint Byrum <cl...@fewbar.com>
> To: openstack-dev <openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 10/11/2013 12:43 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software orchestration
> proposal for workflows
>
> > 3. Ability to return arbitrary (JSON-compatible) data structure from config
> > application and use attributes of that structure as an input for other
> > configs
>
> Note that I'd like to see more use cases specified for this ability. The
> random string generator that Steve Baker has put up should handle most
> cases where you just need passwords. Generated key sharing might best
> be deferred to something like Barbican which does a lot more than Heat
> to try and keep your secrets safe.

I had seen a deployment scenario that needed more than random string generator. It was during the deployment of a system that has clustered application servers, i.e., a cluster of application server nodes + a cluster manager node. The deployment progresses by all the VMs (cluster-manager and cluster-nodes) starting concurrently. Then the cluster-nodes wait for the cluster-manager to send them data (xml) to configure themselves. The cluster-manager after reading its own config file, generates config-data for each cluster-node and sends it to them.

Is the config data per cluster node unique to each node?  If not:

Change deployment to following model:
1. deploy cluster-manager as a resource with a waitcondition - passing the data using the cfn-signal -d to send the xml blob 2. have cluster nodes wait on wait condition in #1, using data from the cfn-signal

If so, join the config data sent in cfn-signal and break it apart by the various cluster nodes in #2

Thanks,
LN