On 11/14/13 at 05:37pm, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Laski [mailto:andrew.la...@rackspace.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:22 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][object] One question to the resource
tracker session

On 11/13/13 at 11:12pm, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:
>Hi, Dan Smith and all,
>    I noticed followed statement in 'Icehouse tasks' in
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/IcehouseNovaExtensibleSchedulerMetr
ics

>            convert resource tracker to objects
>            make resoruce tracker extensible
>            no db migrations ever again!!
>            extra specs to cover resources - use a name space
>
>    How is it planned to achieve the 'no db migrations ever again'? Even
with the object, we still need keep resource information in database. And
when new resource type added, we either add a new column to the table.
Or it means we merge all resource information into a single column as json
string and parse it in the resource tracker object?.

You're right, it's not really achievable without moving to a schemaless
persistence model.  I'm fairly certain it was added to be humorous and
should not be considered an outcome of that session.

Andrew, thanks for the explanation. Not sure anyone have interests on this
task, otherwise I will take it.

There is a blueprint for part of this from Paul Murray, https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/make-resource-tracker-use-objects. So you could coordinate the work if you're interested.

--jyh