I've noticed that
https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/85332012dede96fa6729026c2a90594ea0502ac5stores
the network client in local.strong_store which is a reference to
corolocal.local (the class, not the instance).

In Russell's example instead the code accesses local.store which is an
instance of WeakLocal (inheriting from corolocal.local).

Perhaps then Roman's findings apply to the issue being observed on the gate.

Regards,
Salvatore