On 4/10/2017 2:55 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:

The TC meetings are held in IRC and that may somewhat mitigate the
issue for non-native English speakers, but I've had problems myself
keeping up at times with the flurry of comments.  In any case, I think
it would be good to include language in the pile of concerns over
world-wide participation

I don't attend many TC meetings, it's usually on accident, but yeah, when I do I always note the flurry of cross-talk chatter that just drowns everything out. I feel like there are usually at least 3 parallel conversations going on during a TC meeting and it's pretty frustrating to follow along, or get a thought in the mix. That has to be much worse for a non-native English speaker.

So yeah, slow down folks. :)

I'm not advocating splitting the meetings though. It's possible to have your cake and eat it to if done properly. For example, Alex Xu runs the Nova API subteam meeting and we have people from China, India, Japan, UK and USA and get through it fine, but it does involve slowing down to get an acknowledgement from people that they are OK with any decisions being made.

This might also tie back in with what cdent was mentioning, and if the flurry of conversation during a TC meeting throws people off, maybe the minutes should be digested after the meeting in the mailing list. I know the meeting is logged, but it can be hard to read through that without one's eyes glazing over due to the cross-talk and locker-room towel whipping going on.

Matt