With such settings nova is not waiting for info from neutron and that is why
Your instances starting without network ready.
If You will change this timeout to some value higher than 0 then instance will
be paused and nova will wait for info from neutron that port is active (You
should also check credentials config in neutron server)
If You will set also vif_plugging_is_fatal=True then nova will put instance in
ERROR state if port will not be active after timeout time.

--
Slawek