Dear OpenStack community,

each week we are going to highlight some interesting and important UX topics here on the mailing list (though I will be referencing a lot to the Askbot tool, which we use for discussions).

At the moment, we are asking for attention for *Horizon's navigation redesign*:

http://ask-openstackux.rhcloud.com/question/2/openstack-dashboard-navigation-redesign/

Some time before summit we started to invest time into navigation enhancements. There started horizontal proposal [0] and based on some feedback, we tried to provide vertical solution [1] as well. At summit there was super interesting discussion about interaction in both approaches. At the end of session, we had a voting which ended in favor of vertical navigation (won in ratio about 6:4). There were strong arguments for vertical as well as for horizontal approach.

Lately, there were some voices that voting was based on limited audience, so I'd like to bring this issue up here. We don't want to be blocked forever, choosing 'perfect' solution. We will try to deliver solution so that people can easily switch from vertical to horizontal (or vice versa) just by skinning anyway. So for the moment we want to find preferred way for OpenStack upstream, which we will be enhancing in time. What is important to take into account is to keep on mind latest IA [2], which is still in progress, but we have pretty good picture which direction we are going.

Whoever is interested in navigation topic or has some preferences one way or another, we are looking forward to hearing from you here or in the Askbot thread.

Cheers
-- Jarda

--- Jaromir Coufal (jcoufal)
--- OpenStack User Experience
--- IRC: #openstack-ux (at FreeNode)
--- Forum: http://ask-openstackux.rhcloud.com
--- Wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/UX

[0] Horizontal: http://people.redhat.com/~lsurette/OpenStack/Navigation%20Enhancement%20Proposal_v3.0.pdf [1] Vertical: http://people.redhat.com/~jcoufal/openstack/navigation/2013-12-03_os_navigation_vertical.pdf [2] Information Architecture: http://ask-openstackux.rhcloud.com/question/1/openstack-ui-information-architecture/?answer=94#post-id-94