Jay S Bryant wrote:

On 5/29/2018 3:19 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
Excerpts from Jonathan Proulx's message of 2018-05-29 16:05:06 -0400:
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 03:53:41PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
:> >> maybe we're all saying the same thing here?
:> > Yeah, I feel like we're all essentially in agreement that nits (of the
:> > English mistake of typo type) do need to get fixed, but sometimes
:> > (often?) putting the burden of fixing them on the original patch
:> > contributor is neither fair nor constructive.
:> I am ok with this statement if we are all in agreement that doing
:> follow-up patches is an acceptable practice.
:
:Has it ever not been?
:
:It seems like it has always come down to a bit of negotiation with
:the original author, hasn't it? And that won't change, except that
:we will be emphasizing to reviewers that we encourage them to be
:more active in seeking out that negotiation and then proposing
:patches?

Exactly, it's more codifying a default.

It's not been unacceptable but I think there's some understandable
reluctance to make changes to someone else's work, you don't want to
seem like your taking over or getting in the way.  At least that's
what's in my head when deciding should this be a comment or a patch.

I think this discussion suggests for certain class of "nits" patch is
preferred to comment.  If that is true making this explicit is a good
thing becuase let's face it my social skills are only marginally
better than my speeling :)

-Jon

OK, that's all good. I'm just surprised to learn that throwing a
follow-up patch on top of someone else's patch was ever seen as
discouraged.

The spice must flow,
Doug

Maybe it would be different now that I am a Core/PTL but in the past I had been warned to be careful as it could be misinterpreted if I was changing other people's patches or that it could look like I was trying to pad my numbers. (I am a nit-picker though I do my best not to be.

There still seems to be some confusion between "new patchset over existing change" and "follow-up separate change" as to what is the recommended way to fix nits.

To clarify, the proposal here is to encourage the posting of a follow-up change.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)