On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 11:56 AM Jim Rollenhagen <j...@jimrollenhagen.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 10:23 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtant...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for chiming in really late in this topic, but I think $subj is worth
>> discussing until we settle harder on the potentially confusing terminology.
>>
>> I think the difference between "Edge" and "Far Edge" is too vague to use
>> these
>> terms in practice. Think about the "edge" metaphor itself: something rarely
>> has
>> several layers of edges. A knife has an edge, there are no far edges. I
>> imagine
>> zooming in and seeing more edges at the edge, and then it's quite cool
>> indeed,
>> but is it really a useful metaphor for those who never used a strong
>> microscope? :)
>>
>> I think in the trivial sense "Far Edge" is a tautology, and should be
>> avoided.
>> As a weak proof of my words, I already see a lot of smart people confusing
>> these
>> two and actually use Central/Edge where they mean Edge/Far Edge. I suggest we
>> adopt a different terminology, even if it less consistent with typical
>> marketing
>> term around the "Edge" movement.
>

> FWIW, we created rough definitions of "edge" and "far edge" during the edge
> WG session in Denver.
> It's mostly based on latency to the end user, though we also talked about
> quantities of compute resources, if someone can find the pictures.

Perhaps these are the pictures Jim was referring to?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/255x1cao14taer3/MVP-Architecture_edge-computing_PTG.pptx?dl=0#

I'm involved in some TripleO work called the split control plane:

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-specs/specs/rocky/split-controlplane.html

After the PTG I saw that the split control plane was compatible with
the type of deployment discussed at the edge WG session in Denver and
described the compatibility at:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-edge-working-group-split-control-plane

> See the picture and table here:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Edge_Computing_Group/Edge_Reference_Architectures#Overview
>
>> Now, I don't have really great suggestions. Something that came up in TripleO
>> discussions [1] is Core/Hub/Edge, which I think reflects the idea better.
>

> I'm also fine with these names, as they do describe the concepts well. :)
>
> // jim

I'm fine with these terms too. In split control plane there's a
deployment method for deploying a central site and then deploying
remote sites independently. That deployment method could be used to
deploy  Core/Hub/Edge sites too. E.g. deploy the Core using Heat stack
N. Deploy a Hub using stack N+1 and then deploy an Edge using stack
N+2 etc.

  John