On 08/20/2014 08:27 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2014 10:45 AM, "Day, Phil" <philip....@hp.com
> <mailto:philip....@hp.com>> wrote:

There was a recent discussion about reverting patches, and from that
(but not only) my understanding is that we should revert whenever in doubt.

Putting the patch back in is easy, and if proven wrong I'd be the first
to +2 it. As scary as they sound - I don't think reverts are a big deal.

>> The RT may be not able to cope with all of the new and more complex
> resource types we're now trying to schedule, and so it's not surprising
> that the ERT can't fix that.  It does however address some specific use
> cases that the current RT can't cope with,  the spec had a pretty
> through review under the new process, and was discussed during the last
> 2 design summits.   It worries me that we're continually failing to make
> even small and useful progress in this area.
>>
>> Sylvain's approach of leaving the ERT in place so it can be used for
> the use cases it was designed for while holding back on doing some of
> the more complex things than might need either further work in the ERT,
> or some more fundamental work in the RT (which feels like as L or M
> timescales based on current progress) seemed pretty pragmatic to me.
>
> ++, I really don't like the idea of rushing the revert of a feature that
> went through significant design discussion especially when the author is
> away and cannot defend it.

Fair enough - I will WIP the revert until Phil is back. It's the right
thing to do seeing that he is away.

However - I don't agree with using the length of discussion around the
feature as a valid argument against reverting.

I've supplied several technical arguments on the original thread to why
I think we should revert it, and would expect a discussion that either
refutes them, or provides alternative ways forward.

Saying 'but we talked about it at length' is the ultimate appeal to
imaginary authority and frankly not helping at all.

N.