tl;dr I'm concerned we're conflating user concerns and contributor
concerns. I'd like to see laser focus on two things that help both: 1)
Define layers in our governance and integration efforts 2) Pay down
technical debt with a focus on supporting users.

<more>
Great kick off Joe, thanks. I have been waiting to reply to this thread on
purpose while I try to gather as much info as I can about what both users
and contributors are interested in for our future. I have a pretty specific
curiosity about how we're framing this request: I see a spilt between
contributor concerns and user concerns.

Example contributor concerns:
scope definition
incubation and integration requirements
heavy-handed processes
review pileups
contributor license agreement concerns about preventing contributions and
openness
technical debt weighing a project down

Example user concerns:
how do I know what's tested; what's buggy
how do I trust a part of OpenStack to put it into production and maintain
over time
why isn't there complete driver or hypervisor documentation for
<fill-in-the-blank>
logging
security best practices
high availability across OpenStack
monitoring OpenStack
monitoring apps on my OpenStack infrastructure
my own users have needs; how can I get upstream to care about them

These example concerns are not comprehensive but I worry about conflation
causing us all to burnout and flail. I know we all work in the gray areas
but there's a black-and-white problem due to our current governance.

Since I write docs and work on technical committee concerns, I sit on a
cross-project and cross-concern bridge all the time, advocating,
prioritizing, standardizing, and weighing needs across many project teams.
The user concerns are a higher priority for docs currently, because they're
a support mechanism.

I think the Kilo cycle should be dedicated to:

 - Fulfill the promise of layers for defining OpenStack integration
gradients in governance and integration "taxes" such as consistency across
projects, reviews on projects with many drivers/contributors, infra, docs,
and testing
 - Pay down technical debt by sharply focusing on capabilities rather than
drivers that fulfill them

Two focus areas. Each of those will have a lot of work items. Both find
more common ground for devs and users. Let's do this!

 Anne