On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 09:53:36AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I know we've been talking about deprecating nova.virt.disk.vfs.localfs
> for a long time, in favour of wanting people to use libguestfs
> instead. However, I can't immediately find any written documentation
> for when we said we'd do that thing.
>
> Additionally, this came to my attention because Ubuntu 14.04 is
> apparently shipping a libguestfs old enough to cause us to emit the
> "falling back to localfs" warning, so I think we need Ubuntu to catch
> up before we can do this thing.
>
> So -- how about we remove localfs early in Kilo to give Canonical a
> release to update libguestfs?

Rather than removing localfs right away how about we add an explicit
config parameter to control behaviour

  vfs_impl=auto|guestfs|localfs

where

  auto == try libguestfs, fallback to localfs
  guestfs == try libguestfs, error otherwise
  localfs == try localfs, error otherwise

Currently we do 'auto' behaviour but in Kilo we could make 'guestfs'
be the default, so there is no fallback. That way distros will quickly
see if they have a problem, but still have option to reconfigure to
use localfs if they need to.

Regards,
Daniel