For these last two cases, of fixing the file ownership on first boot based on
the previous UIDs of a username, why would we decide to fix the data files?

If instead we were to change the UIDs such that the data files were correct,
the only thing to fix up would be the installed files in the image, which are a
well-defined and limited set of files.

> So, what do people think?

Jon-Paul Sullivan ☺ Cloud Services - @hpcloud

Postal Address: Hewlett-Packard Galway Limited, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway.
Registered Office: Hewlett-Packard Galway Limited, 63-74 Sir John Rogerson's
Quay, Dublin 2.
Registered Number: 361933

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may
be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error you should
delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender.

To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated, you should
consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".