On Nov 13, 2014, at 3:52 AM, Dmitry Tantsur <dtant...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/2014 08:06 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> During our “Graduation Schedule” summit session we worked through the list
>> of modules remaining the in the incubator. Our notes are in the etherpad
>> [1], but as part of the "Write it Down” theme for Oslo this cycle I am also
>> posting a summary of the outcome here on the mailing list for wider
>> distribution. Let me know if you remembered the outcome for any of these
>> modules differently than what I have written below.
>>
>> Doug
>>

>> Deleted or deprecated modules:
>>
>> funcutils.py - This was present only for python 2.6 support, but it is no
>> longer used in the applications. We are keeping it in the stable/juno branch
>> of the incubator, and removing it from master
>> (https://review.openstack.org/130092)
>>
>> hooks.py - This is not being used anywhere, so we are removing it.
>> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125781/)
>>
>> quota.py - A new quota management system is being created
>> (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-oslo-common-quota-library) and should
>> replace this, so we will keep it in the incubator for now but deprecate it.
>>
>> crypto/utils.py - We agreed to mark this as deprecated and encourage the use
>> of Barbican or cryptography.py (https://review.openstack.org/134020)
>>
>> cache/ - Morgan is going to be working on a new oslo.cache library as a
>> front-end for dogpile, so this is also deprecated
>> (https://review.openstack.org/134021)
>>
>> apiclient/ - With the SDK project picking up steam, we felt it was safe to
>> deprecate this code as well (https://review.openstack.org/134024).
>>
>> xmlutils.py - This module was used to provide a security fix for some XML
>> modules that have since been updated directly. It was removed.
>> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125021/)
>>

>> Graduating:
>>
>> oslo.context:
>> - Dims is driving this
>> - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo-incubator/+spec/graduate-oslo-context
>> - includes:
>>      context.py
>>
>> oslo.service:
>> - Sachi is driving this
>> - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo-incubator/+spec/graduate-oslo-service
>> - includes:
>>      eventlet_backdoor.py
>>      loopingcall.py
>>      periodic_task.py
> By te way, right now I'm looking into updating this code to be able to run
> tasks on a thread pool, not only in one thread (quite a problem for Ironic).
> Does it somehow interfere with the graduation? Any deadlines or something?

Feature development on code declared ready for graduation is basically frozen
until the new library is created. You should plan on doing that work in the new
oslo.service repository, which should be showing up soon. And the you describe
feature sounds like something for which we would want a spec written, so please
consider filing one when you have some of the details worked out.