On 11/13/2014 01:12 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
On 11 November 2014 13:30, Angus Salkeld <asalk...@mirantis.com> wrote:
Hi all

I just wanted to make sure we are all under the same understanding of the
outcomes and what the next steps for the versioned objects session are.

1. There is a lot of interest in other projects using oslo versioned objects
and it is worth progressing with this
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/127532).
2. jpipes and jharlow suggested experimenting/investigating google protocol
buffers (https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/) instead of  the
custom serialization and version code. This *could* be an implementation
detail, but also could make the adoption by nova more complicated (as it has
a different mechanism in place).
3. vish brought up one draw back of versioned objects: the difficulty in
cherry picking commits for stable branches - Is this a show stopper?.

Next steps:
- Jay suggested making a second spec that would lay out what it would look
like if we used google protocol buffers.
- Dan: do you need some help in making this happen, do we need some
volunteers?
- Are there any other concrete things we can do to get this usable by other
projects in a timely manner?

+1 on protocol buffers, but perhaps
http://kentonv.github.io/capnproto/ could be considered: its protocol
buffers v2 basically - from one of the originators of protocol
buffers. It has Python support available too, just like protocol
buffers.

Very nice indeed. Been reading through the Cap'n'proto documentation and it looks like a great improvement over GPB.

Definitely something to look into.

I sent an email privately to Angus and Dan this morning saying that I personally don't have the bandwidth to do a PoC that would use GPB as implementation of the serialization, schema representation, and versioning engine. I support the idea of using GPB, but I also recognize it's a large amount of work.

Best,
-jay