On Dec 16, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 5:58 PM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 15, 2014, at 3:21 PM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The issue with stable/juno jobs failing because of the difference in the
>>> SQLAlchemy requirements between the older applications and the newer
>>> oslo.db is being addressed with a new release of the 1.2.x series. We will
>>> then cap the requirements for stable/juno to 1.2.1. We decided we did not
>>> need to raise the minimum version of oslo.db allowed in kilo, because the
>>> old versions of the library do work, if they are installed from packages
>>> and not through setuptools.
>>>
>>> Jeremy created a feature/1.2 branch for us, and I have 2 patches up [1][2]
>>> to apply the requirements fix. The change to the oslo.db version in
>>> stable/juno is [3].
>>>
>>> After the changes in oslo.db merge, I will tag 1.2.1.
>>
>> After spending several hours exploring a bunch of options to make this
>> actually work, some of which require making changes to test job definitions,
>> grenade, or other long-term changes, I’m proposing a new approach:
>>
>> 1. Undo the change in master that broke the compatibility with versions of
>> SQLAlchemy by making master match juno: https://review.openstack.org/141927
>> 2. Update oslo.db after ^^ lands.
>> 3. Tag oslo.db 1.4.0 with a set of requirements compatible with Juno.
>> 4. Change the requirements in stable/juno to skip oslo.db 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.
>>
>> I’ll proceed with that plan tomorrow morning (~15 hours from now) unless
>> someone points out why that won’t work in the mean time.
>
> I just reset a few approved patches that were not going to land because of
> this issue to kick them out of the gate to expedite landing part of the fix.
> I did this by modifying their commit messages. I tried to limit the changes
> to simple cosmetic tweaks, so if you see a weird change to one of your
> patches that’s probably why.

That solution evolved into a third approach, which has taken most of the day to
land.

We now have an oslo.db 1.0.3 with SQLAlchemy requirements that work with
setuptools 8. stable/juno is currently capped to oslo.db>1.0.0,<1.3 but another
change to move the cap down to <1.1 is in the queue right now [1]. This is a
lower cap than the last tests we were running, but it has the benefit of
providing a version of oslo.db that does not introduce any other requirements
changes in stable/juno as 1.2.1 would have. More details are available in the
etherpad we used for notes today [2], and of course please post here if you
have questions.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142180/2
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cloL2FzTRd