On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 09:18:46PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-01-22 16:06:55 -0500 (-0500), Matthew Farina wrote:
> [...]
> > When there is an update to our requirements, such as the recent
> > version increment in the version of angular used, a new package
> > version doesn't automatically show up as evident from that list.
> > How would that process be kicked off so we don't end up with a
> > missing dependency? Does that have to wait for a release cycle?
>
> I don't want to speak for the distro package maintainers, but from
> what I've seen they generally wait until close enough to an
> integrated release that they can be pretty sure the requirements are
> close to frozen, so as not to waste effort packaging things which
> will end up not being used.

Yes, exactly.

I for myself am using horizonfrom a github checkout, providing all
dependencies as RPM packages. That being said, I'm updating/packaging
requirements, whenever they'll show up for me.
There is no automatic process.
> I assume (perhaps incorrectly?) that we do use those in CI jobs, so
> that we can download the things a given project needs in an
> automated fashion--for us handling pip requirements lists is a
> solved problem (well, for some definitions of solved at least).

It would be totally awesome to switch from pip install to using
distribution packages for testing purposes. At least for dependencies.

> > This appears to affect the testing setup as well. When we start to
> > use a new version of a JavaScript dependency no package will exist
> > for it. I believe this would mean the testing environment needs to
> > use the development setup, in the proposal, of bower. IIRC, bower
> > goes out to the Internet and there isn't a mirror of packages
> > (just a mirror of the registry). That means we'll loose the
> > ability to run testing installs from local mirrors for these
> > dependencies. I imagine a solution has been thought of for this.
> > Can you share any details?
Uh, we have seen so many timeouts and failing tests, because some
mirror was not answering fast enough etc. I don't think, adding another
external service will improve the situation here.

--
Matthias Runge <mru...@redhat.com>