On 02/15/2015 01:13 PM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
On 2/15/15, 10:10 AM, "Jay Pipes" <jaypi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 02/15/2015 01:31 AM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
This is a follow-up to the discussion at the 12 February API-WG
meeting [1] concerning "functional" API in Glance [2].  We made
some progress, but need to close this off so the spec can be
implemented in Kilo.

I believe this is where we left off: 1. The general consensus was
that POST is the correct verb.

Yes, POST is correct (though the resource is wrong).

2. Did not agree on what to POST.  Three options are in play: (A)
POST /images/{image_id}?action=deactivate POST
/images/{image_id}?action=reactivate

(B) POST /images/{image_id}/actions with payload describing the
action, e.g., { "action": "deactivate" } { "action": "reactivate"
}

(C) POST /images/{image_id}/actions/deactivate POST
/images/{image_id}/actions/reactivate

d) POST /images/{image_id}/tasks with payload: { "action":
"deactivate|activate" }

An action isn't created. An action is taken. A task is created. A
task contains instructions on what action to take.

The Images API v2 already has tasks (schema available at
/v2/schemas/tasks ), which are used for long-running asynchronous
operations (right now, image import and image export).  I think we
want to keep those distinct from what we're talking about here.

Does something really need to be created for this call?  The idea
behind the "functional" API was to have a place for things that don't
fit neatly into the CRUD-centric paradigm.  Option (C) seems like a
good fit for this.

Why not just use the existing tasks/ interface, then? :) Seems like a perfect fit to me.

Best,
-jay