On 02/18/2015 06:37 PM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
Thanks for your comment, Miguel.  Your suggestion is indeed very close
to the RESTful ideal.

However, I have a question for the entire API-WG.  Our (proposed)
mission is "To improve the developer experience of API users by
converging the OpenStack API to a consistent and pragmatic RESTful
design." [1]  My question is: what is the sense of "pragmatic" in this
sentence?  I thought it meant that we advise the designers of OpenStack
APIs to adhere to RESTful design as much as possible, but allow them to
diverge where appropriate.  The proposed functional call to deactivate
an image seems to be an appropriate place to deviate from the ideal.
  Creating a task or action object so that the POST request will create
a new resource does not seem very pragmatic.  I believe that a necessary
component of encouraging OpenStack APIs to be consistent is to allow
some pragmatism.

Hi Brian,

I'm sure you're not surprised by my lack of enthusiasm for the "functional" Glance API spec for activating/deactivating an image :)

As for the role of the API WG in this kind of thing, you're absolutely correct that the goal of the WG is to improve the developer experience of API users with a consistent and pragmatic RESTful design.

I feel the proposed `PUT /images/{image_id}/actions/deactivate` is neither consistent (though to be fair, the things this would be "consistent" with in the Nova API -- i.e. the os-actions API -- are monstrosities IMHO) nor pragmatic.

This kind of thing, IMHO, is not something that belongs in the same REST API as the other Glance image API calls. It's purely an administrative thing and belongs in a separate API, and doesn't even need to be RESTful. The glance-manage command would be more appropriate, with direct calls to backend database systems to flip the status to activate/deactivate.

If this functionality really does need to be in the main user RESTful API, I believe it should follow the existing v2 Glance API's /tasks resource model for consistency and design reasons.

That said, I'm only one little voice on the API WG. Happy to hear other's views on this topic and go with the majority's view (after arguing for my points of course ;)

Best,
-jay

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/155911/

On 2/18/15, 4:49 PM, "Miguel Grinberg" <miguel.s.grinb...@gmail.com